University of Aleppo (Arabic: جامعة حلب, also called Aleppo University) is a public university located in Aleppo, Syria. It is the second largest university in Syria after the University of Damascus.
During 2005-2006 the University had over 61,000 undergraduate students, over 1,500 graduate students and approximately 2,400 faculty members. The university has 25 faculties and 10 intermediate colleges.
What was to become the University of Aleppo consisted of a Faculty of Engineering in Aleppo opened in 1946 and affiliated to what is now the University of Damascus (Syrian University at that time). After the end of French rule in 1946, the newly independent Syria only had one university. In 1958, the Syrian government passed a law that created the University of Aleppo as the second university in the country. When the new university opened its doors in 1960, it consisted of two faculties (Civil Engineering and Agriculture). The University grew rapidly in the subsequent decades, formed respected programs in engineering, sciences, and literature, as well as a strong emphasis on languages, offering courses on German, Russian, French, and English.
The university is member of the European Permanent University Forum (EPUF), the Mediterranean Universities Union (UNIMED) and the Regional Corporation Confremo.
The university has joint co-operative programmes with many international institutions of higher educations from the Arab World, United States, Argentina, Venezuela, Australia, Japan, India, Malaysia, Iran, Armenia, Georgia, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Russia, Spain, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Norway, Poland, Ukraine, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary and Moldova